Sunday 20 December 2009

7. Washing, Washing up, and Having a Wash

While Americans do the laundry, the English do the washing. The washing up refers to doing the dishes. On occasion, you can still hear a dishwasher referred to as a washing up machine. The same terms apply to the detergents used during each chore. Laundry detergent becomes washing powder or liquid. Dish soap becomes washing up liquid or soap.

As for having a wash, I'm not entirely sure what this refers to as I've never watch anyone have a wash. It does not imply having a bath or a shower. It is frequently done at the end of the day before going out for the evening or before dinner or tea or supper or...that's a whole other post.

2 comments:

  1. No wonder I can always understand the English blogs (and they, me) more readily than the US ones. Seems Australia has kept most of the same terms as the UK.

    And having a wash, isn't that washing hands and faces?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be what having a wash means. I'll be checking with friends this week. I get on much more easily with the Australian and Irish blogs than I do the UK blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Don't have a google account? That's all right. Select anonymous to leave a note.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...