Saturday 15 January 2011

Fabulous Things About England Sometimes Happen Here

It is apparently traditional to explain one's long absence from one's corner of the web. I will, here, simply answer by saying the economy is really, really, bad. So I've spent the winter working in a department store in Bath and teaching via a distance education program in Alaska. The latter has saved my soul from the former.

Most of my time on the internet has been spent with students who have been lovely. They are also no longer my students. I get a new batch in the coming weeks. I am looking forward to them, but I am not looking forward to the inevitable loss of interest in all things not related to the classical argument. I lie of course. There is very little that cannot be used to teach the classical argument.

Fall was generally kind to this part of England. We had little rain and the sun hovered above us almost all the way through November. I was and am tremendously grateful. Anything that seems to lengthen winter days must be embraced with joy. 

And, as all of you Americans heard during the slow news week leading up to Christmas, we had snow. Piles and piles of snow. I hadn't seen so much snow since leaving Alaska five years ago. It meant quite a lot of overtime for me, as I can walk to work. So a few inches of snow made it possible to pay for a Happy Christmas.

The flakes on one afternoon were huge. I could not help but smile; though, I only stepped outside for a few moments. This is the way I always imagined English Christmases should look.

And that is what I got this year, a Christmas that look perfect and felt like home.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you have posts entitled 'Fabulous Things About England'. I am from Colorado, so we were quite excited about the few flakes too
    XOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laura. I live in Colorado until I was 13. You can imagine my shock when Indiana had snow days for two inches of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admittedly we currently have four foot walls of snow plowed to the sides of the streets, and that's a lot, even for Fargo, I think. But that is some snow for england. I miss it every time I come to your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't have a google account? That's all right. Select anonymous to leave a note.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...